How DropBox scales up in Amazon AWS cloud.
Rajiv Eranki on the infrastructure used for scaling up DropBox.
- Python for virtually everything; not more than a couple thousand lines of C
- Paster/Pylons/Cheetah (web framework — minimal use beyond templating and handling form input)
- S3/EC2 for storing and serving file blocks
- memcachedin front of the database and for handling inter-server coordination
- nginxfor the frontend server
- haproxyfor load balancing to app servers, after nginx (better configurability than nginx’s balancing modules)
- nagiosfor internal health checks
- Pingdomfor external service monitoring and paging
- GeoIPfor mapping IPs to locations
Related, how Instagram scales up in Amazon AWS. And, when AWS had problems, it led to Instragram 503 errors.
Tags: how dropbox scales up, how instagram scales up, cloud infrastructure behind dropbox, cloud infrastructure behind instagram