If you use Google Chrome on the PC, you may have run into this issue – Chrome won’t open. Click on the Chrome icon – nothing will happen. Here are steps that may help you get Chrome working again.
Once you encounter this issue, clicking on the Chrome icon again and again will start new “Google Chrome” processes on your PC but Chrome will not launch (one Google Chrome per click e.g. view via Task Manager).
If you uninstall Chrome, and try to re-install a new copy of Chrome. Nothing will happen. Chrome install will fail.
The steps to get Chrome to work again
1) Uninstall Chrome (via Control Panel)
2) Reboot PC
3) Download Alternate Google Chrome Installer, the “for all user accounts” version (using another browser)
4) Install Chrome.
5) Reboot PC
6) Chrome should now work.
If Chrome still does not work, you may have a corrupt Chrome user profile. As suggested at the link
7) Kill all running Google Chrome processes on the PC.
8) Type %LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\ in Windows Explorer address bar
9) Change the name of the folder Default to Backup Default.
10) Start Chrome again.
11) Chrome should now work.
This bug has been around for a long time including in the latest 34.0.1847.131 m Chrome.
Google creates a really bad Chrome experience with this bug. But they have not taken the time to fix it or acknowledge it.
Tags: google chrome won’t open, google chrome won’t launch, chrome stopped working, chrome not opening, chrome not launching, chrome install fails, chrome not working, chrome does not install, chrome 34.0.1847.131 m, chrome fails on windows 8, chrome stopped working on windows